Ranked Choice Voting for Texas advocates for the adoption of ranked choice voting, also known as instant runoff voting, eventually for all primary and general elections for local, state, and federal elections in Texas. Our approach is to pass incremental legislation so Texas can test RCV one type of election at a time. With this voting method, voters have a greater choice and a stronger voice in elections as it is more inclusive, participatory, and representative than our current first-past-the-post electoral system.
Founded in the summer of 2019, we are a nonprofit, nonpartisan grassroots organization. We have a 501(c)(3) organization for our voter education efforts and a 501(c)(4) organization for legislative advocacy. We are building a supporter network with hundreds of volunteers and thousands of supporters all across our state.
We are moms, dads, millennials, retirees, problem solvers, and dog lovers, ...
We are oil and gas executives, engineers, professors, project managers, graphic designers, and software engineers, ...
We are advocates, concerned citizens, and election judges, …
And we are believers in a vibrant, competitive, inclusive democracy just as our Founding Fathers intended.
Promote the adoption of ranked choice voting (RCV) for local, state, and federal elections in Texas to help ensure broad voter support for winning candidates, save time and money, and improve the voting experience by reducing negative campaigning and helping to make sure all votes matter.
- Non-Partisan: Given today’s political climate, we remain staunchly non-partisan in all of our efforts. It is important that this reform campaign not be perceived as coming from the left or right, but rather that it comes from voters for voters.
- Coalition Building: Many existing organizations with diverse missions have become interested in RCV. Within Texas we will build a coalition of partner organizations and marshal our collective efforts in advocating for RCV in Texas. We will coordinate with national organizations in support of national / federal efforts to adopt RCV.
- Accessible: Our mission centers around grass-roots education and advocacy. Our message and underlying sources should be accessible by all Texans.
Transparent: The public’s trust that our message is sincere and fact-driven is crucial to our ultimate success. Amidst all of today’s vested interests and lobbying bodies competing for voter attention, we will
strive for maximum transparency in all facets.
- Build Public Support
We will educate and rally support from the general public for RCV. The resulting extensive database of supporters and broad group of volunteers and donors will persuade lawmakers and other public officials to support RCV adoption.
- Lobby to change state laws to allow and to adopt RCV; we recognize this will be a multi-year effort.
- Ensure voting machines are capable of RCV
The largest 23 Texas counties will have RCV-ready voting machines starting in 2020. To support other counties, we will provide information on machines and software that are RCV-ready and what can be done manually when a county’s machines are not RCV-ready.
- Support election administrators in the smooth execution of RCV elections, when and where they occur.